Natural Dyeing for Beginners: The Basics
(1) 3-hour session. Available dates:
Sunday, June 2nd | 9am to 12pm
Sunday, August 18 | 9am to 12pm
The world of natural dyeing may seem daunting when you consider the vast array of plants and processes to explore. But experienced dyers know this – it’s a lifelong pursuit that starts with the basics, evolves through experimentation, and is fun to explore with other curious learners. This 3-hour beginner's workshop offers all three:
Learn the basics; we’ll cover: dye plants, water chemistry, fibers, and tools, with a dash of history and mordant magic
Experiment with immersion dyeing using different dye colors, fibers and techniques
Create and relax with in a low-key, convivial environment
We’ll focus on local, traditional dye plants that are easily cultivated in Vermont, or foraged sustainably from our urban or forested wild areas. Students will leave with a resource list, dyed fiber samples, one cotton handkerchief, and one silk scarf.
Class Fee: $60; $20 Kids (12 and under). Gardeners, check out our Learn As You Grow discount below.
Ages: All-ages; 12 and under must attend with parent or guardian. High school students 12-18, please contact us for more information.
Experience Level: Beginners to Intermediate. For gardeners, artists and citizen scientists!
Instructor: Karen Cornish
NOTE for wheelchair users: We are located in a 19th-century building with only stairs, and no elevator. We regret that our space is not accessible by wheelchair.
Learn-As-You-Grow Gardener’s Discount
We raise and sell traditional dye plants hardy to Zone 5 on our farm in Hinesburg, including Japanese Indigo (blue), Madder (red), Weld (yellow), and other varieties not typically found in local nurseries. We love growing and using our own colors and want to teach you to do the same, to Learn As You Grow!
Our 2019 plants are for sale now on our website, and at Montpelier Farmer's Market starting in May. For every dollar you spend on plants, we’ll give you the same amount off a workshop held at our Montpelier studio.
How it works:
- Order online now for the best selection of plant variety, quantity and size
- Choose a pick-up location & time. You can visit us at our farm in Hinesburg on weekdays, or on Saturdays at the Capitol City Farmer’s Market in Montpelier (except the month of July).
- We’ll email a discount code that may be used when registering for any workshop.
Vice-versa works too: Register for a workshop, and we’ll email you a discount code for the same amount off our farm-raised dye plants!
We want to keep this simple - $$ for plants = $$ for workshops – with just a few details:
- This offer is good for workshops occurring through September 2019 at our Montpelier studio.
- Workshop spots are limited and available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Discounts are issued for, and applied to, the pre-tax purchase amount (“Subtotal”) of your plant or workshop order.
- The purchase amount must meet or exceed the discount being applied; no cash or credit will be issued for leftover amounts.
- Plant varieties, quantities and sizes are limited (hint, shop early!)